"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, January 7, 2011

Living Well in 2011

Happy New Year!

In the south, the New Year is the time when we eat our black-eyed peas for luck, greens for money, and make our resolutions for the upcoming year. I didn't grow up a southerner, but I have adapted just fine, thank you. This year was my first attempt at making Hoppin' John, and it was delicious, if I do say so myself!

Last year, my goal for 2010 was to simplify my life. I decided to leave an overwhelming and underpaid "part-time" job, and consciously let a struggling friendship go. I succeeded in relaxing and enjoying my Christmas holiday (for once) thanks to a pre-Christmas trip to a secluded mountain cabin in Blue Ridge, Georgia. With two very active teenagers, I made significant strides,  but didn't quite completely make that goal to Simplify.

Onward to 2011, I am still desperately seeking The Simple Life... hoping I don't wake up one day as an old lady only to realize that I let my life pass by while amassing only material pleasures.  I have thought a lot lately about reducing the carbon footprint I leave on our planet. About cleaning less and walking more. About learning how to grow my own food, and how to live a richer life with less material possessions.

New Year's Resolutions, 2011 

1. Simply simplify my life

2. Start a blog- ha,ha! Check! Let me amend that to continuing this blog into the New Year and beyond.

3. Organize my recipes. Good Grief! They are all piled into a box- I'm going to finally get them out of the box and into a book where I can find what I'm looking for quickly!

4.  Start a vegetable garden. I have a black thumb, so this should be interesting. Last year I bought two blueberry bushes: the nice man told me growing blueberries were foolproof...result? Two dead blueberry bushes.

This blog is my journey toward organizing my life- my mental and my physical clutter.  It is about reducing chaos, sharing my ideas and creativity, and striving to maintain a sophisticated, simple style of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment